Welcome to 2019! Woo Hoo you made it! The New Year is a great time to consider the future and what role your health plays in it. In downtown Fargo we have many options to help you start living a healthy lifestyle thru food, exercise and activities! Take a look at some of our suggestions below and head downtown to start your journey to a healthier life!
Downtown has several gyms and studios to choose from here are a few of our favorites.
Crossfit Icehouse: Try out a new type of workout with Flux a workout that combines yoga, strength training and conditioning.Crossfit Icehouse also offers Crossfit and nutrition coaching. Give them a call for a free no sweat consultation to see what program works best for you.
YMCA: With a wide offing of classes for all fitness types and levels the YMCA is a great choice for the whole family. The Downtown Fercho branch also has aquatic fitness classes and a lap pool. To get a real sweat going visit their cycle studio and spin it out. They also have some specials in January to jump start you at the gym!
- January Membership Special: Join the YMCA of Cass and Clay Counties in January and pay NO ENROLLMENT FEE (that’s up to $50 in savings)!
- January Child Care Special: Enroll your child (and start care) by January 31, 2019 and pay NO REGISTRATION FEE (that’s a savings of $25/child or $40/family)!
• Access to two fitness facilities, including 24/hour access at our Schlossman branch
• 140+ pieces of cardio equipment and 90+ pieces of strength equipment
• 100+ land and aquatic group fitness classes every week
• Access to our Aquatic Center – includes a six-lane lap pool, warm water pool and more
• Discounts on adult programs and services – including personal training, massage and more
• Guest passes, saunas, whirlpool, towel service
• and so much more!
Eating Healthy and Fueling your body:
Visit one of our downtown grocery stores and see their wide variety of healthy foods, supplements, and wellness items.
Prairie Roots Food Co-op: This is your one stop shop for your groceries! Enjoy a wide variety of natural, organic and local produce and check out their hot food bar from 11 to 4 for healthy lunch options. They also have a variety of products for those who are vegan and gluten free.
Swanson Retail Store:Are you planning on creating some lifestyle changes in 2019? Swanson Health retail has what you need to achieve your health and wellness goals. If you want to add in high-quality supplements, eat cleaner, switch to chemical free beauty products, or start out 2019 with a detox or cleanse then they can help you. They carry everything from organic & natural groceries, a large array of supplements, natural beauty products, eco-friendly home goods, health books, diet aids, and much more. The staff is very knowledgeable, and they even have two health coaches on the team. Stop into their Broadway location to get started!
Eating out and Making Healthy Choices:
When you are crunched for time or just out with friends, the biggest stumbling block can be deciding what meals fit in your healthy lifestyle. Here are a few options at your downtown restaurants.
Spicy Pie: When your friends want pizza but you want to stay on track here are some options to help you compromise.
- Build Your Own Salads – shredded lettuce, Colby cheese, and any of their fresh toppings with a side of dressing
- Taco Salads – choice of taco meat or shredded chicken
- Gluten Friendly 9″ Crusts – Build Your Own Personal Pizza (The crust is gluten free, but bakes in the same oven as our regular crust, so must be consumed at your own discretion)
- Humus: Hands down best hummus and you can substitute in veggies for $1
- Pizza bowls: Pizza minus the crust in a cast iron skillet
- Selection of delicious salads
- Swap out the bun for a wheat wrap up or a lettuce wrap up!
- Check out the salad bar between 11 and 2 Monday thu Friday for fresh salad options and a rotating soup menu for only $8.95!
- For dinner there is several salad options, heart healthy fish, and steaks can be served with seasonal veggies, salads, cottage cheese or fruit.
- The hummus plater is a nice light start to the meal that you can share with friends and family
- Taste the Mediterranean with the antipasto salad
- The veggie hummus wrap makes up in flavor what it lacks in meat
- If you love blue cheese and artichoke hearts the Sidestreet Signature Salad is for you!
- They have a variety of vinaigrettes and fat free dressings to make sure your salad has all the flavor with lots less fat
- Veggie burger: Lose the meat but not the taste all while getting a serving of veggies
- Give one of their fresh wraps a try
- Orange rosemary dressing takes the Sweet Harvest Salad to a whole other level
- Chicken noodle, Enchilada, and Tomato basil soup are always on the menu along with a rotating soup of the day.
- Selection of soups and salads available for both lunch and dinner
- Gluten free offerings
- Try something healthy from the sea by choosing the salmon or the fish tacos
- Try the Artisan Romain Caesar salad with shaved parmesan, garlic croutons and chicken
- Get your protein and veggies from the veggie omelet on the all day brunch menu
- Lemon balsamic lifts the salmon in the Seared Salmon and Spring Greens salad
- Romain lettuce wraps cut out the carbs and the gluten
- Try the Butternut Squash Salad for a new flavor experience
- For the chicken lovers the Orange Chicken Breast with the asparagus and ginger slaw is just the ticket
Other Ways To Get Active in Downtown Fargo:
- Park further from your destination to get in more steps and enjoy the scenic downtown area.
- Take a break and walk thru the skyway. The Skyway starts at the Civic Center and Ends at the Black Building. The skyways have great views of downtown, are wide, and heated! You can also enter the Skyway from US Bank, The Radisson, The Black Building, next to Creative Plains, and on Broadway next to Silver Linings Creamery.
- On nice days take a walk or a bike ride next to the Red River. The Bike path is very scenic and stretches from Lindenwood park all the way to 19th Ave North.
- When parking downtown try parking on top of one of the 3 parking ramps. Take the stairs down and up again for a small cardio workout.
- Take the kids sledding on the downtown dike. The trek up and down the hill is sure to get your heart pumping.